At the beginning of last March, I went to the Sewing Expo in Puyallup, and one of the classes I took was a "slash it up" quilting class. The technique taught used twelve fat quarters stacked up and then cut up in a random pattern, then shuffled and reassembled to create a quilt top. I finished the quilt top in the spring, but it kind of languished as I worked on Averie's quilt (and started, but stalled on Aidan's quilt) throughout the rest of the year. In November, however, I decided that it needed finishing to give as a Christmas gift to my sister in law, and so I worked hard to finish it up.
Ezri decided to photobomb the picture of the finished quilt, shown laying over our couch.
Fold of the quilt showing the backing (including the feather fabric I had to use to complete the backing) and the striped inset made from the leftovers of the original quilt blocks. I had bought out the rest of the bolt of the brown/black fabric used for the sashing and intended to form the whole back of the quilt, but it wasn't enough and I couldn't find any more. I used a neutral feather pattern to take up the space, and while I wasn't thrilled with it I think it did turn out looking pretty nice. I also had some difficulty with seams, and ended up using some bits and pieces of iron-on labels to cover those problems after the quilt was completed. I managed to make it all look intentional, but this wasn't my proudest finish to date for sure.
Back of the quilt after washing - you can see more of the random straight-line quilting that I did after it was washed.
Binding shot - I love this purple color that I chose for the binding.
My sister in law loved the quilt, and I think it will be well used and enjoyed, so that is awesome. Right now I have two baby quilts in progress, one that's finally ready for quilting (and that baby just had his first birthday), and another that's in the piecing phase and must be done by March 2nd for a baby shower. I absolutely have to put down my knitting and spinning for a while to get these done!